Spaying refers to the surgical procedure performed on female dogs and cats to render them infertile. There are many benefits to spaying your female pet.
BENEFITS OF SPAYING
- reduces canine and feline overpopulation
- elimates the sometimes “messy” heat cylcles of female dogs
- eliminates the unwanted male animals which are attracted from miles away
- prevention of diseases in your pet such as pyometra (infection of the uterus) and mammary cancer (cancer of the mammary glands)
Spaying involves surgical removal of both ovaries and the uterus. It can be performed under a number of anesthetics and monitoring devices. If you are shopping around for a competitive price on this procedure, be sure to question the type of anesthetic used and the monitoring equipment and procedures followed. We use several monitoring devices during your pet’s anesthetic. A registered veterinary technician continually assesses your pet’s vital signs during the procedure. Although the risk of an anesthetic death in a normal healthy pet is very rare, our monitoring devices and procedures allow us to respond to an anesthetic emergency faster. Faster responses can save lives. Please call or visit our facility to learn more about our spaying procedures.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR PET’S SPAY
- a mild sedative and analgesic before surgery
- an IV catheter and IV fluids
- blood pressure and heart rate monitoring throughout entire procedure
- a special warming device called a “Bear Hugger” to maintain body temperature
- a registered Animal Health Technologist monitoring your pet from the moment she arrives to the moment she leaves the hospital
- LASER– if you choose (click for a detailed description of the benefits of laser surgery)
- Post operative pain relief
- lots of TLC!!
- Pets are able to go home the same day .
- We always send home with 3 (or more) days of analgesics for post-operative pain relief
- We always send home with “GO HOME instructions” , explaining how to care for your pet at home.
- We always give you a phone call the next day to see how you and your pet are.