Neutering refers to the surgical procedure performed on male dogs and cats to render them infertile. There are many benefits to neutering your male companion.
BENEFITS OF NEUTERING
- prevention of overpopulation
- reduces undesirable behaviours such as wandering, and dominance aggression
- prevents diseases such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and perianal tumours.
Neutering involves surgical removal of both testicles. It can be performed under a number of anesthetics and monitoring devices. If you are shopping around for a competitive price on this procedure, be sure to question the type of anesthetic used and the monitoring equipment and procedures followed. We use several monitoring devices during your pet’s anesthetic. A registered veterinary technician continually assesses your pet’s vital signs during the procedure. Although the risk of an anesthetic death in a normal healthy pet is very rare, our monitoring devices and procedures allow us to respond to an anesthetic emergency faster. Faster responses can save lives. Please call or visit our facility to learn more about our neutering procedures.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN YOUR PET’S NEUTER
- a mild sedative and analgesic before surgery
- an IV catheter and IV fluids
- blood pressure and heart rate monitoring throughout entire procedure
- a special warming device called a “Bear Hugger” to maintain body temperature
- a registered Animal Health Technologist monitoring your pet from the moment he arrives to the moment he leaves the hospital
- LASER– if you choose (click to see a detailed description of the benefits of laser surgery)
- Post operative pain relief
- lots of TLC!!
- Pets are able to go home the same day .
- We always send home with post-operative pain relief
- We always send home with “GO HOME instructions” , explaining how to care for your pet at home.
- We always give you a phone call the next day to see how you and your pet are.